< Last Update: 15 Jan. 2016 >
SAFE Prototyping Status: December 2013 - December 2015 <Completed>
Utilizing Satellite Data, Numerical Rainfall Forecasts, Combining with Ground Observations in Flood Forecasting for the Thai Binh River System
National Centre for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting (NCHMH), Vietnam National Hydro-Meteorological Service (NHMS), MONRE
Despite exists several national and international projects which are conducted on flood forecasting in Vietnam, Thai Binh river system is less invested and flood forecasting accuracy and lead time for this river system have still a lot of limitations. For the Thai Binh river system now exists only 12-24 hour flood forecast with low accuracy because of data lack and without of advanced forecasting technique. Development of a flood forecasting and warning system using satellite data is highly expected, especially for developing countries where the collection of real time data on rainfall and water level in river basins faces on technical and financial difficulties.
This prototype's objective is utilizing all available satellite data combining with numerical rainfall forecasts and ground observations in operational flood forecasting for the entire Thai Binh river system.
The Thai Binh River, Vietnam
1) Testing satellite rainfall GSMaP_NRT in comparison with ground rainfall
2) Verified IFAS+Mike11 with GSMaP_NRT rainfall + NWP (ECMWF)
3) Technical transfer to end-users
Technical transfer to local forecasters at Regional Hydro-Meteorological Centre for North-East and for Midlle-North (RHMC NE & RHMC MN) have been implemented
- System Setting
4) Training/capacity building for NCHMF staffs
- Training for forecasters in the Hydrologic forecast division for the North of Vietnam.
- Application of the system for flood forecasting operation during flood season 2015.
Expected Operational Usage
(1) NCHMF will use for issuing 2-5 days operational flood forecasting for main stations on Thais Binh river system: Dap Cau, Phu Lang Thuong, Luc Nam, Pha Lai
(2) Regional Hydro-Meteorological Centre for the North-East Vietnam (RHM CNE) and Provincial HM Centres (Bac Can, Thai Nguyen, Bac Ninh, Bac Giang) use for issuing 2-3 days operational flood forecasting for their interested locations on Thai Binh river system (Bac Can, Thai Nguyen, Dap Cau, Cau Son, Chu, Luc Nam, downstream of Thai Binh main stream)
(3) Standing Office (SO) of Central Committee for Flood and Storm Control (CCFSC) is provided more accurate and more lead time flood bulletins for taking preparedness and rescue measures.
1) Prototyping Executor
Dr. Dang Ngoc Tinh, Ms. Dang Thanh Mai and Mr. Nguyen Tien Kien
The National Centre for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting (NCHMF), Vietnam
2) Technical Supporter
- International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM)
- Foundation of River & basin Integrated Communications (FRICS)
3) Data & Application Provider
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA): Satellite data (GSMaP_NRT for years 2008-2014)
- Vietnam National Remote Sensing Center (RSC), Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE): DEM, Land use, Land cover
- Regional Hydro-Meteorological Centre for North-East and Regional Hydro-Meteorological Centre for Midle-North: Data providers (Ground data - rainfall and water level) and End-Users