We, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) Earth Observation Research Center (EORC) ALOS/ALOS-2 Science Project and “Earth Observation Priority Research: Ecosystem Research Group”, published the High-Resolution Land Use and Land Cover (HRLULC) map.
We are also developing classification algorithms and collecting reference data as a part of a joint research project “High-resolution land use land cover map” with Associate Professor Kenlo Nishida Nasahara (University of Tsukuba). The HRLULC maps, algorithms and reference data will be updated in the future.
2. Dataset description
For details, please see those pages.
- HRLULC 10m resolution map of the southern region of Vietnam【2007, 2017】(ver.18.09 : 9 categories)
- HRLULC 10m resolution map of the central region of Vietnam【2007, 2017】(ver.18.07 : 9 categories)
- HRLULC 15m resolution map of the northern region of Vietnam【2007, 2015】(ver.16.09 : 9 categories)
- HRLULC 30m resolution map of Japan【2014 - 2016】(ver.18.03 : 10 categories)
- HRLULC 10m resolution map of Japan【2006 - 2011】(ver.16.09 : 10 categories)
* 【】 Indicates acquisition years of used data, and a version number indicates the release year and month.
(Ex.【2007, 2015】(ver.16.09) shows the classification map using satellite data acquired on 2007 and 2015, and released in Sep. 2016.)
Please register your information from following URL to download the dataset. It is required your email address.
This is temporally registration (especially please check your email address again) and will send email you to accept your registration request. After the confirmation of your request, the download information will send by email.
The dataset download site is
* If you forget your password, please register again.
* Recommend to use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari.
* Depending on the time, it may take time to display the page or download the dataset.
4. Note for data use
JAXA does not guarantee the quality and reliability of this dataset and JAXA assume no responsibility whatsoever for any direct or indirect damages and losses caused by use of the datasets. Also, JAXA will not be responsible for any damages of users due to changing, deleting or terminating the provision of the dataset.
When the user provides the products and services to a third party, or publish papers and documents using the datasets, please show that “the original data is provided by JAXA” and the copyright (©JAXA).
You can use the product free of charge for non-commercial purposes only. For commercial use, please contact the following inquiries.
A part of this dataset may include missclassification. If this map is very different from the current land use, please contact the following address.
5. About data utilization
- About decompression of data
The downloaded file is compressed into one file by tar.gz and software may be necessary for this decompression. For example, 7-Zip is available as free software.
- Displaying and using data
"High-Resolution Land Use and Land Cover Map Products" has a GeoTIFF data format, and software such as image processing, remote sensing, GIS, etc. is required for display and use.
You can use software released free of charge, for example,
It is widely used software for the general public.
Please note that the free software introduced here is only an example, and it is not necessarily guaranteed by JAXA. Please understand that JAXA can not answer any questions about software.
Please refer to these and use "High-Resolution Land Use and Land Cover Map Products".
ALOS-2/ALOS Science Project
Earth Observation Research Center (EORC)
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
* Please refer to FAQ before sending email.
* Please contact us in English or Japanese.