Thumbnail of publishing AW3D30 DSM Ver.1 as of May 31, 2016
(180 meters resolution, black areas: masked out due to cloud covers)
To click the thumbnail image, you can zoom in/out in another browser.
The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) releases the global digital surface model (DSM) dataset with a horizontal resolution of approx. 30-meter mesh (1 arcsec) free of charge. The dataset has been compiled with images acquired by the Advanced Land Observing Satellite "DAICHI" (ALOS).
The dataset is published based on the DSM dataset (5-meter mesh version) of the "World 3D Topographic Data", which is the most precise global-scale elevation data at this time, and its elevation precision is also at a world-leading level as a 30-meter mesh version. This dataset is expected to be useful for scientific research, education, as well as the private service sector that uses geospatial information.
2. Release History
- May and October 2015: Japan and a part of individual continent released as Beta Version (Total 7,279 tiles)
- April 2016: Version 1 covering Japan and a part of individual continent released (Total 7,278 tiles)
- - 0.5 pixels (approx. 15 m) of geolocation error in DSM file have been fixed.
- May 2016: Global terrestrial region (within approx. 82 deg. of N/S latitudes) of Version 1 released (approx. 22,100 tiles) [Updated]
- - Some Mask files have noises at 2 x 2 pixels of the lower-right corner in the tile. They have been fixed.
The latest version can be downloaded by following instruction.
We will try to improve the accuracy as well as quality of the AW3D30 product continuously, and release it as the updated version in the future.
3. Descriptions of the AW3D30 DSM dataset
|Resolution:||1 arcsec (approx. 30m mesh) containing 1 deg. lat/long tile.|
|Height accuracy:||5 meters as standard deviation (1 sigma)|
|Composition:||DSM (Height above sea level, signed 16bit GeoTIFF) The calculated elevation value by average (AVE) and median (MED) when resampling from 5-meter mesh version. The nearest neighbor (NN) is considered in next version)|
|Mask information file (8bit GeoTIFF, DN=0: Valid; 1: Clouds, snow and ice (invalid); 2: Land water and low correlation (valid); and 3: Sea)|
|Stacked number file (8bit GeoTIFF, DN=number of stacking)|
|Quality assurance Information (ASCII text, add information for 1 arcsec product to original 5-m mesh DSM information)|
|Header file (ASCII text)|
Please confirm processing status and qualities i.e. clouds by "Thumbnail of publishing AW3D30" on the top for your area of interests. The published area will be expanding to all over the world near future.
Please register your information from following URL to download the dataset. It is required your e-mail address.
This is temporally registration and will send e-mail you to accept your registration request. After the confirmation of your request, the download information will send by e-mail.
The dataset download site is
(Updated on April 1, 2016)
This dataset is available to use with no charge under the following conditions.
- When the user provide or publish the products and services to a third party using this dataset, it is necessary to display that the original data is provided by JAXA.
- You are kindly requested to show the copyright (© JAXA) and the source of data When you publish the fruits using this dataset.
- JAXA does not guarantee the quality and reliability of this dataset and JAXA assume no responsibility whatsoever for any direct or indirect damage and loss caused by use of this dataset. Also, JAXA will not be responsible for any damages of users due to changing, deleting or terminating the provision of this dataset.
It is very grateful if you can send the fruits announced in public, or any points to , for our future guidance.
ALOS Science Project
Earth Observation Research Center (EORC)
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
J. Takaku, T. Tadono, K. Tsutsui : Generation of High Resolution Global DSM from ALOS PRISM, The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, pp.243-248, Vol. XL-4, ISPRS TC IV Symposium, Suzhou, China, 2014.
>> PDF file
T. Tadono, H. Ishida, F. Oda, S. Naito, K. Minakawa, H. Iwamoto : Precise Global DEM Generation By ALOS PRISM, ISPRS Annals of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, pp.71-76, Vol.II-4, 2014.
>> PDF file