JAXA/EORC are regularly conducting the calibration and validation of the PALSAR-2 and its standard products using the data over the calibration sites in the world. This page reports evaluation results of the PALSAR-2 standard products and radiometric calibration factors to convert digital number to backscatter value.
|Mar. 24, 2017:|
|Oct. 19, 2016:|
Digital number in the PALSAR-2 JAXA standard product is converted to backscattering coefficient (sigma naught, sigma zero) using the following equations:
- (for L1.5, L2.1)
- (for L1.1)
σ0: Backscattering coefficient (Sigma naught or Sigma zero) [unit: dB]
DN: Digital number (or raw pixel value)
CF1, A: Calibration factor [unit: dB]
|Calibration factor||Value [dB]|
- Calibration factors (CF1 and A) for the previous version of processing software
>> Here (PDF file, 126KB)
- * Version of the PALSAR-2 processing software can be checked in "PALSAR-2 Product Processing Software Release Note" on the AUIG-2 top page after registered user log-in or in the field No.12 of the file descriptor records of each CEOS file.
- T. Motohka, O. Isoguchi, M. Sakashita, and M. Shimada, "ALOS-2 PALSAR-2 Cal/Val Updates", JAXA/EORC Joint PI Meeting of Global Environment Observation Mission FY2017, Jan. 24, 2018. (PDF file, 2.3MB)
- M. Shimada, O. Isoguchi, T. Tadono, and K. Isono, "PALSAR Radiometric and Geometric Calibration", IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, No. 12, pp.3915-3932, Dec. 2009.
- M. Shimada, "Model-based Polarimetric SAR Calibration Method Using Forest and Surface-Scattering Targets", IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp.1712-1733, May 2011.